Wednesday 20 March 2013

Plans arrived.

The plans CD arrived from Robert Q Riley at the weekend, but I've not really had much of a chance to have a look as yet.  What I have seen is a pretty comprehensive set of plans, 3d models and files for the sheet metal parts. 

The manual includes details of how to make the bike solar powered, using a motor under the seat and a set of solar panels that mount either behind the seat, or on a custom disc on the back wheel, transferring the power out using a custom connector.  It's a neat design, but I'm not going to bother with the solar version, because if last summer was anything to go by, I wouldn't have got a lot of charging time. 

I've got plenty of other things to be getting along with at the moment, so progress isn't going to be that quick.

I do have my first component.  I've got a BB30 bottom bracket adaptor with a standard BSA thread that will probably be on the front of the bike.  I'm considering a Sturmey Archer or Sachs 3x7 hub on the rear, with a long cage derailleur to take up the tension in the chain line.  I'll probably fit an idler gear under the seat, in the place of the motor drive to maintain the appropriate chain clearance under the seat.

Other parts will follow from Ebay or my local bike recyclers.

No comments: